Wednesday 18 August 2010

8.0km Tour du Pays de Vaud - Etape 2 Genolier

Hilly, with agression.

The rain meant only a handful of spectators on the course. We got there with just enough time for the traditional sprint from the carpark to the start line.

Warmed up with Stefan and spent the next 10mins cooling down in the crowd waiting to start. I'd moved significantly closer to the front this time. That made a difference and I could have gone further if I had been a bit more agressive.

But the wide road and downhill start made it fast and furious. After 2km I was happy with the pace where I was which was around 4 min kms.

It was a stunning route with plenty of off road woods (some of which I'd been to before, including the site of the famous max hrt test I did for Jason). At some points it was very technical.

I ran harder tonight than at St. Prex. Ave. hrt was 158 (although it was 160 at St. Prex - proof I was not feeling 100%) and I managed the hills well. Many people had to walk up them or slow right down. As usual I was moving through people on the up and on the down, but being overtaken on the flat. Not much flat though!

At about 7km there was a sharp left turn down into the forest. I let the guy outside me past and waved my left hand out pointing down. Now, what I meant was there is a sharp left coming so watch out that's where I am going. The bloke behind me decided it meant go on buddy, over take on the inside and cut me up. Right, now I'm mad. I take my time down, then over the bridge and then I have my robin hood moment. There is a gap in the trees and the path is near vertical so I let rip. 1, 2, 3 then 4 got beyond him and jump back onto the path in front of the guy. Oh dear now I'm whacked and there is still plenty of work to do. Hrt spikes and so I have no choice but to back off a bit and recover. Pick it back up and suddenly we're there. I though it was 8.5 but someone decided to lop the .5 off the route with out telling anyone so 8km it was. As we turned at the top of the building suddenly 70m infront is the finish line and I drive the arms to get up to top speed. Go past 2 or 3 people who notice me far to late to do anything about it. Just not enough time to catch the guy who cut me up. Oh well, next time.

I was standing at the finish line looking out for Stefan when the guy gobbing of in French on the mike suddenly appears next to me and asks who I am waiting for - so I got to speak French to a crowd into a mike - been a dream of mine for a while! I missed Stefan's finish, but I saw Jason's. He powered down the back straight like his life depended on it. Focused, determined, aggressive. I was clapping and screaming at him. To my amazement he responded and got even faster and must have over taken about 20 runners in the last 50m. I was so proud. This is a guy who has caught the racing bug. Stefan too was full of stories about catching girls with tattos of horses - honest that was part of the race....

Ah and Bob le coureur? He whipped me again. He was 20 places overall ahead of me and 3 in our age group. Look for him but did not see him.

Had a very pleasant and well deserved sausage and chips with a beer to wash it down. Post race photo with Jason and Stefan.



Results click here I was 36th out of 188 in my age group and 115th/533 blokes. 3 slots better than at St. Prex for my age and 21 slots overall! Yipee!

Garmin stats

I would like to point out that Richard Leaky does exist and may even turn up at the next Etape. But then no-one belives me as we expected him at the Nyon Tri, the St Prex run, etc etc.

1 comment:

Alain said...

Congratulations for your run Niall !
The race was much hillier than St-Prex, and in some ways more interesting.

http://bob-runner.over-blog.com/article-cr-tpv-etape-2-genolier-18-aout-2010-55615999.html

It was a very good run for me, so I'm a few places ahead again, but there are still three races to go.

I usually wear a blue sleeveless T-shirt labelled "Footing Club".

I will do a reco of the next etape (Mézières) this sunday.

See you in Mézières !