Wednesday 1 September 2010

9.5km Tour du Pays de Vaud - Etape 4 Chavonay

This one is THE HILL.

Just look at that profile.



Thinking about it in the days leading up to the race led me to conclude that no running at all from Saturday in would be the super taper approach. It worked, legs were fresh and I was not tired on the start line.

However the twisting pain in my tummy was there and that had been getting worse since lunch time. The raclette and ice cold water had combined to really mess up my insides.

At the start Tenke had reserved us an elite only parking space in prime position. So we dropped the bags and headed out along the last couple of km of the route to warm up and get the feel of the place.

At the start Richard and I helped put the inflatable start arch up, which nearly went right over but somehow managed to just wobble and stay up right.

Click here for a picture of the arch
.

I positioned my self behind "Bob le coureur" and took a quick change of race plan into account following his wise advice. Get the first two km done quickly, as the paths narrow in the woods and it is much harder to over take on the hills. Top advice.

I managed the first one in 3:56 and it felt ok, if slightly unusual to have Jason ahead for a large part of that first km. I kept seeing gaps in the crowd and I had to scream at Jason for him to take the openings when they appeared.

During the second km something very surprising happened. I closed on Bob le coureur and to my surprise overtook him. Then it was into the woods and unsurprisingly Bob le coureur powered past me. All I could do was clap my hands in appreciation of his power and I shouted "Allez Alain!".

At the steepest section the people around me had stopped running, so sorry Tenke I did actually stop running and walk as fast as I could up the hill. Then the plateau was nice in the trees as not too hilly and the paths were wider and I stopped dropping places and moved up the field. As I went past 6km I braced my self for the fast section approaching.

And boy was it fast:

7th 3:41
8th 3:42

I was loving it. It was not to steep to be dangerous but it was steep enough for the little technique I have to shine through and I moved up through the field again. The run back to Chavoney was stunning with the hills, woods and bright red sunset and travelling at such speed and feeling there was still some left for the home mile was a result. I felt very alive and almost euphoric as the endorphins started to swim around inside me.

Then I cannot belive what I see up ahead. Blue sleveless footing lausanne top. It is Bob le coureur some 20 places ahead. I decide to go for it. 1.5 km out I kick. I pick a girl in a pink top (which I mistakenly thought might have been cotton when she overtook me early in the race) and close in on her. I catch and overtake her on the motorway bridge. Bob le coureur is about 4 ahead and I think about when to try and over take. I decide to tuck in behind the two guys between us and kick at 500m. Just before the last corner the two guys pick it up and it is race on. I think 400m reps and open up wide on the racing line so as not to be blocked in as the other two guys move out to go past Bob le coureur. At 200 out they kick hard and I respond we're flying now and at 100m I just focus on the line and realise that I've got one of the guys but just don't have enough time to catch the other.

So, a few firsts for me tonight.

Fastest ever 1km.

Having been roundly whipped by Bob le coureur on all the other etapes tonight was my night. Had he seen me coming, I'm sure he'd have responded as he looked pretty un-exhaused when I spoke to him coming out of the funnel, I was maxed out. Another pretty close to red line evening.

Meanwhile, Tenke came second, but beat the lady that beat her in St. Prex. The lady that won has not done any other etape, so now it is all down to the last race next week.

In the middle of the field Jason and Stefan are now on 2 wins each and so it is all to play for in the last race for them as well.

At the back our dear friend Richard has had a torrid season marked with injury and lack of training, but at least he was there. That's twice in a row. When he's down to race weight I'd say he's one to watch for next year.

Official Results

Garmin Stats

1 comment:

Alain said...

Congratulations for your race Niall !
To tell the truth, I hadn't noticed you had passed just before the finish line. I was quite suprised to see you in front of me in the finish zone.
I was expecting the girl with the pink top, as she had challenged me on Facebook that she would overrun me on the way down to Chavornay.
As I was feeling a growing pain in my left thigh since km 6 and was afraid it would evolve into a cramp, I have had to slow down a bit.
But the girl never came, so I haven't had to relaunch the machine to keep ahead of her.
You came instead and I did not expect you : very good tactics !


I'm glad my advice helped you. Actually it applies to all the TPV races, as the numbers of participants has grown but not the width of the footpaths.

The final fight will be La Sarraz and it will not be easy for you in the Classement général, as you are more than two minutes behind me. But you could make it, especially if the pain in my thigh has not gone until then.

For your interest of some of your running friends, here is a link to a regional running championship (13 races over one year, must run at least 7 to be ranked) in the organisation of which I'm involved.
http://footing-club.ch/trophee.php?menu=trophee