Friday 28 January 2011

7m Airport Hill, Mubarak and a full database.

Aurelien came out with me today, determined to make it to the top of the airport hill.
First incident was outside the president Wilson hotel, when my Garmin went berserk. It had filled up the database and could not cope and was desperately trying to get me tell it to delete something and make all sorts of choices about data retention strategies. In the end I somehow managed press the right combination of buttons to make it shut up. I later discovered I had been so brutal with my disposal of data that I'd also managed to delete the run I was doing!
Anyway, just as I had sorted that out I was aware of the fact that I was now in the middle of a crowd of people with Egypt flags gobbing off in Arabic and chanting, presumably voicing their disapproval for Mubarak - in amongst all this, I make out Aurelien's voice over the crowd, come on Niall we've dropped of pace. Alright, data management and riots just won't stop this guy. He and Tenke will get on just fine.
So after that it was pretty uneventful to the top the hill, no problems for Aurelien and then back down. We picked up the pace a bit at the top and avoided the protestors on the way back. About 100m out I asked Aurelien if he felt he could still whip me over 100m and he responded by spinning his legs like the coyote in the roadrunner cartoon and accelerated of at world record pace. He confessed later to being a sprinter in his younger days and the speed is still there. Looking to get to the track together at some point. Now I know that the kick needs to be at least a mile out!
One hour two mins. Not fast, but decent speed back stopped it being a very slow run.

No comments: