Wednesday 26 January 2011

Swim: The Red Rabbit Sinks, Lane Rage in the Pool

I confidently slipped into the Red Rabbit lane and went for my first set of 200m front crawl.
Not even 50m in I felt the urge to overtake and my confidence was boosted as I eased past and turned neatly. By now the next guy was within touching distance and I pulled out to over take, a little peeved with him that he had not waited for the stronger swimmer (ie me) at the turn. I caught a glimpse of him as I drew level and he was going like his life depended on not letting me past. I kicked again and was at max speed. As I turned to breath on the off side I caught a glimpse of the white water coming right at me like a tsunami as a real red rabbit powered past someone going the opposite way. There was no time to do much about it so pulled in on top of the guy racing me and I felt first his arm hit my thigh then his hand grab my foot so I kicked it away with my other foot and an realised that I was spent after 75m. But there was no way I was stopping after that so I pushed on and turned trying to put some distance between me and the guy I crashed into. Oh no, now I've caught some woman doing back crawl - so I go around get by ok and move on, into just the 4th length and yet more drama unfolds. I pull out to overtake again and Mr Tsunami is going the opposite direction on another overtake and this time it is too late, we interlock arms and I realise just in time what is happening and let my arm go limp and unravel it from his limb and gulp some air.
At the end of the 4th lap have zero confidence left and slip meekly into the yellow rabbit lane, where the pace is more sedate and the risk of lane rage and Tsunami death are much less.
Another 1km bagged.

No comments: