Friday 16 December 2011

10m the High Line

Bit of a high up theme developing to my New York running.

My buddy had told me about something I'd read about a few years ago that I decided to try out. The High Line is a disused elevated railway that has been transformed into a park. It features nature sections, boardwalks, traffic viewing areas, sun loungers, cafes and some modern art thrown in. 

I figured I could reach it by running up the west side along the footpath/cycle way to pier 51 and then cut in and try and get on to it.

That pretty much worked and the wind blew hard and I admired the waterfront which has obviously had a ton of money spent tarting it up. I got to break state law by running on the cycle path but I had no choice as the running/walking path was closed in places for "restoration".

I got my first glimpes of the High Line at pier 51 as planned and then had to figure out how best to coss six lanes of fast moving traffic. Found a pedestrian crossing and pressed the button furiously as the wind whipped in hard. A lady jogger on the other side was doing the same thing. Got over the road and then was disappoint to find the High Line stairs fenced off and a team of very big guys doing some kind of construction work. I spied a glass elevator and slipped into that popping out in the middle of the crew and ran through them and was gone before they worked out I was probably not meant to be there. The wind was seriously strong at times but that did not take away from a very impressive and pleasant side of new york.  The tracks have been preserved in places and I wondered why it shut down with so many millions going in and out of the mega city each day.

At the end I was in a grotty part of town and spied where NYC keeps all it's snow shovels for the snow truck. Under a disused flyover that look like it once connected to the High Line. Headed to the Hudson and back down the paths to make a loop and then same way home. Wind behind on the return helped!

Garmin.

No comments: