Saturday 24 December 2011

5m Rolle Classic with Jason

Jason descended from his place to great me with the wonderful news that he'd got a job! So we set of happily into the mist and were thankful that the rain that had battered the building all night and was still falling when Jason left his house had suddenly stopped.

After the highest point, Jason admitted that:

a) He was not feeling well
b) The last time he had been for a run was 1 month ago, with me on the same route!

I felt he that b) should cancel out a) as he'd be fresh and fully tapered!

Then Jason added reason c) the chocolate and biscuit Christmas ddiet he'd been following was not helping either.

Keeping to 8 min miles was not going to be easy, 24 lost on mile one and another 5 and 6 on miles two and three. Then Jason decided to "recover" at the castle and let me catch the lost time. So I did. Tanked it along the lake front to the end of the port and accelerated back at a reasonable clip and wondered why I could not see Jason who I expected to be jogging out to meet me. In fact he had sneaked around the back of the castle and was loitering with intent to sprint past me on the way back up the last hill to my house. I kicked for home and at the top of the hill was 0.2 miles short so had to run along the top road behind the apartments and back to get the full 5.

I made the time back no problem. 7:22 and 7:00 - happy days, 39mins for the 5 miles.

Lovely chat and a cuppa with Jason afterwords.


1 comment:

qwertqwert said...

Niall you are so gracious with me. I was expecting to read about the fat slowpoke who couldn't even keep to his intended 5 miles. the echos of Tenke saying that if you can't do ALL the reps at your target pace then don't even bother doing em etc.etc...
I really enjoyed my time.
PS you read as slow as I run . . .
It was perfect pacing though to understand and meditate on the word.