Saturday 19 June 2010

14.3m St. Prex

Jason rang on Friday to let me know he wanted to do at least 20km tomorrow.

St. Prex out and back fitted the bill. I figured two hours would be plenty of time for mr. sub 50 for 10km to clear 20km.

But alas the pace was too easy out. By the time we touched the St. Prex sign on the pier we'd used up 1h 10mins, so not good. I had to be back by 9am. Time of day, 8:10am. Opps. Jason wins comment of the day with, "I hope you are not going to do a Tenke on me...."

So, I cranked up the pace and held it on the hills dragging Jason along. But by the time we crossed the Aubonne on the way back I waited for him at the gate and explained my new route home, no trails all main road and oh yeah quite a bit faster. He decided to follow me and by the time we got to Allaman I could hear him working away behind me. I kicked again and really needed to work hard to get back in time. Was up in zone 4 most of the way back and this was extreme negative split territory. About 2 miles out I worked out I was just going to make it so the hrt dropped and the pace fadded slightly.

Made it home at 9:02, just just!

Went outside to wait for Jason with Lia and a couple of towels and a bottle of water. By 9:15 I was getting worried, then at 9:17 he rocks up WALKING with a bag of breakfast for his family. Phew. After Garmin hit 23km he decided to stop running and walk home.

He came in for a fruit juice and Lia went and got some t-shirts to show him....

No comments: