Friday 11 June 2010

7m and the curious incident of the yappy dog

Tenke was back and very much up for today's early run, we normally go at lunchtime, but both had to be back by noon so we met at 10:30am to give us time for a decent run. The airport route fitted the bill and it was predicatbly ok on the first mile and a half.

Then the hill from hell. Striaght up 300 feet in just under a mile. I was struggling to talk half way up and Tenke suggested the park route, which was just as well as even at her easy pace I was deep in zone five and need some recovery.

At the plateau there was a wedding. We had to run around them out on the road, rather then through them and as it was very hot we took advantage of the church fountain. Holy water? Not sure about that, but the effect is miraculus. Tenke suggested truning back early and my refreshed retort is nah, well just come back fast. Opps.

I nearly manage to get us lost in the smallest woods in Switzerland by jumping a stream to see what was on the other side (answer nothing) and so slightly annoy switch-back had to be done here to get back to the route.

Now around here, something happens. I did not notice is at the time, but very slowly changed pace, from around 8min miles to 7:30min miles. Tenke does not want to be late. More water at the wedding and we zip down the hill. I make the mistake of telling Tenke the time of day. We're two miles out and she needs to get back, showered and changed and back over to this side of Geneva in 41 minutes. Only one thing was ever going to happen. Percieved effort rockets. I'm tired. Some of Tenke's lines were "I told you we should have truned back." Then to my "Why don't you push on for home" - "NO!" Last mile and a bit was spend in zone 5 trying to hold the pace. Eventually, Tenke relented and stopped accelerating. I stayed with the 7:13 pace back to the gym.

There is a little lake side path (about two people wide) which takes you along the lakeside to the place where the boats leave from. I like it as you get away from the road and it tends to be cooler next to the lake. The only problem can be if there are people on the path as you need them to move to get past. Coming towards us is an old couple with a tiny yappy dog. Mr moves to the side and Mrs sees us and starts trying to convince the dog to move to her side. Dog refuses. She's panicing and dogy thinks this is great. We are very close and I don't want to bump into Tenke, so as stopping is not allowed, I decide to jump the dog. The dog yellps and jumps up going for my heel. Tenke screams as she thinks I've just squished the little dog. I'm in stiches - as if I would squash a dog. Even an annoying yappy one. Tenke request that I bump into her rather than perform the dog jump next time.

No comments: