Saturday 31 March 2012

17m Aubonne two loops signal and Yens (30m this week)

It was really awful. I think this is the worst run I have done since moving to Switzerland.
Excuses:
  1. Tired: Hard 11m run yesterday, plus not much sleep last night
  2. Badly fuelled: Not enough water (then too much) and a bad lunch, fired egg bread with mouldy maple syrup.
  3. Sunstroke: No cap and super sunny day - in the woods it was ok, but in the vines the light concrete reflects the heat and I was sunburnt and too hot
  4. Terrain: Some of the toughest hills in the area all on the same run, click the gamin link and check the hill profile and put the terrain on the map.
Went out going the low route to signal planning to turn up at Fechy, but missed the turn and ended up at Bougy Villars which is bad because - well just look at the hill at mile three. That was the first of many walking sections in this run.
Round signal was fine if busy then over the back as I usually do on this route through the woods to the Arboretum. Again it was odd to see people enjoying the place as normally it is too early and I am alone. At this point I was looking at a 2 hour wait if I followed the river down to the car so I went for the Yens route and thought I could see an alternate route back. Checked on the map after and what I did was the best I could have (other than out and back, which is what I did last time). Followed a road that became a path and it climbed and climbed. I wanted it to turn left back to the pylons heading to Aubonne, but no it kept going right following the woods. Finally I came through a farm and could hear the Aubonne River so knew I was ok, only question was where exactly was I? I ran quickly here, down the steep hill to the valley and I was right at the top of the Arboretum. I figured I could get back to Aubonne in 30mins form here and the sign said 1h 10m walking and I normally go 3 times faster. I could hardly walk up the climb out of the Arboretum as the chaffing on the left armpit kick in from nowhere and my head was hurting. I ran for a km or so with my left thumb jamming the top away from the sore bit. My usual kick for home failed to turn up and I shuffled back to find Paul had finished scouts a bit early and was sitting with his mates waiting for me.
We walked together up to the fountain where I made the first of several recovery mistakes. I drank gallons of water. It was ice cold and lovely and I took far too much too quickly.
Next stop was the super market and I got a big can of Red Bull which again was cold and tasty - I felt I needed an energy drink - but seriously Niall a fizzy drink? I tried not to down it in one go, but it was gone all too quickly.
By the time I was at the flat I felt like death warmed up. Stinking headache and felt like being sick - I was - lunch and a can of red bull on the big white telephone. 
Oh well, lessons learnt. I think there was a personal worst half marathon in there too.

No comments: