Wednesday 21 April 2010

4.7miles easy river, with punchy hills

Yesterday was a "rest" day, went to the gym and did 12 mins on a bike that felt like 90 mins of running. Then I did some circuit training stuff and finished with some stretching.

Had a late night last night so was not full energy, but the legs felt like they'd enjoyed the day off yesterday. I was planning reps tomorrow, so decided to do 20 mins out and 20 back easy.

Took the Rhone trail. I was trying to go slow, but hold the pace on the uphill sections which are sharply steep and hard. I'd just attacked one hill and was focused on the recovery on the downhill section when I nearly stood on what looked a lot like a wolf sunning it's self on the path, then I noticed another, and another oh no I think, now I've done it running into a pack of wolves. My heart skipped a beat and then I noticed they had collars and there was an owner up ahead. Phew. What would Dave have made of that?

Even with the Tenke switch back I was going to have to climb to the bridge at round 17 mins so I needed that like a hole in the head and decided to run up a random path to see where it went. Nothing to exciting but a change is as good as a rest and as it was 260 feet up hill that broke the boredem of zone 2 and I was gently nudged into the fourth. Opps.

Also saw two black squirels. Jet black and hard as nails. I'm sure they gave me a dirty look when I went past.

Recoverd back to zone 2 and then was so bored with the slow pace I could not help speeding up over the last 5 mins back to the start.

Total time 40mins to do 4.73 miles. Out bound 20 were safe in zone 1 and 2, but the hill got me in zone 4 briefly and I recovered quickly to zone 2. Last mile was at 7:30 which should be easy, but ended up in zone 3.

No comments: