Wednesday 14 April 2010

7m with a nasty hill


Aiming to do around an hour "easy" with Tenke, which for mere mortals like me is usually a fair clip.

However we had plenty to chat about on the sunny day and drifted (easily?) over to the botanical gardens out to the trails we've touched upon last time.

The hill nearly killed me. I noticed after about quarter of the way up that I've stopped talking completely and Tenke is chatting away like the hill does not exist. But it does. I can feel the heart rate climb and the perceived effort rockets. I grunt and groan my way to the top and appologise as 3/4 of the way up as I can't hold the pace and live. Hey Ken, deja vue? We drop into the park and I recover before the last quarter of the hill. 300 foot climb in well under one mile. But then that's it, recover back to zone 3 and stay there the whole way home.

Highlights of the run include being one field away from the airport, fields of cows, then fields of horse right in the middle of the city and the best for last, the big broken chair statue to remind politians visiting the palace of nations that land mines are nasty things.

7 miles in 57 min ave pace 8:10s. Felt easy enough except for the hill. 33 in zone 3 and the rest split evenly between 4 (up hill) and 2 (downhill).

Route home was rubbish next to the road, saving grace was the broken chair thingy.

1 comment:

Another Scottish Bloke said...

watch out for the grey zone mate. You are spot on with the comment!