Sunday 18 April 2010

8m I crossed the Aubonne!

Having dragged poor Jason on this route for an "easy 5km" which somehow turned into a 13km outing last weekend, today was time to do something I had wanted to do for ages. That is find the footbridge over the river Aubonne. In doing so I would open up the route to St. Prex and expand my running options massively.

So off I went, pace felt like lighting after yesterday. However it was an average of 8:40 min miles and the good news is that the vast majority of the run was still down in zone 2, a fair bit in zone 1 and a drift into zone 3 for a few minutes while on the Perroy hill.

Out and back downtown Perroy (for my English followers, that's P-eh-er-wah, trust me!) was jumping, old guys on push bikes, cars, pedestrians all headed to the source of the freshly baked bread smell wafting out of the bakery.

The kiwi trees have flowered by Allaman beach and the river side clip was a joy and the anticipation mounted as I drew closer to where I thought I could cross the river. A woodpecker made a racket doing it's thing.

I notice a lot of white water ahead and over the weir is a small concrete bridge with the yellow walking route sign on it. There's a small metal fence around it with a metal gate and the gate is not locked but jammed shut. I jump the gate and cross the bridge. Quick time of day check and admire the far bank and head back. Unfortunately I snag my shorts on the way back over the metal gate in a stray wire and stop dead when I hear a tearing sound. Luckly no pain or real damage done, just a small hole in the shorts!

Somehow crossing the Aubonne really made me feel great, another goal achieved.

Head back via Allaman village and down to the outbound route. I reflect on how I now know the area well enough to guess connections like that and even the village names all are falling into place.

Begining to belong!

No comments: