Monday 12 April 2010

5m, two or three long reps or were they tempos?

My planned short tempo was destroyed by the "battery low" followed by blank screen trick from uncle Garmin.

So I pushed out anyway, along the Quai de Gustave Ador. At the naked lady statue I decided to tank it to the other side of the Plage de Geneve, recover out there and perform the same trick on the way back.

Out bound was tough, holding the pace difficult into La Bise which was still about as strong as it was yesterday, when I spent much of the day putting the plants upright on the balcony.

Overtook a fat zone 1 bloke doing some run walk garbage. I waited until he was running before going right behind him putting my footfalls in his before accelerating past him at full pelt.

At the turn I squeezed an hrt check out of the Garmin before it refused to start anymore and it was 140, but I'd already had a few moments recovery so I was probably well in the fourth zone.

Few guys go past and I get several "Bonjour"/"Hi" acknowledgements. No idea who any of them are.

I noticed a more serious looking chap cruising in roadside and decided to recover some more and use him as a mark on the return leg.

Set off lake side and for the inbound leg and felt the wind pushing me home. Nice. Think form. More speed. Catching. Catching. 20m to catch him and at the Yatch club he vanishes. Gone. I move onto the grass and try to hold the percived effort which feels strong but controlled. Kick to the naked lady and am mildly annoyed to have failed to capture any data.

Suddenly, m. serious runner appears. He's still going at a decent pace and up by the road. I decide to see if I can catch him again. Ease up to his pace and match it as I draw level. Hold that all the way down to Jardin Anglais, where our paths meet and we run side by side through the park in silence, both of us holding the pace and looking staight ahead. Then the clown who sells the tickets for the tourist train jumps out and runs long beside me as if he is racing me - I think about taking him out Andy McNab style but quickly decide he is no threat and he says something in french about how I am far to fast for him to keep up with, now who told him he could say "tu" to me anyway....

Down the ramp to go under the Pont de Mont Blanc and the speed comes for free and I hold that pace to the end. Well there we are, three one mile chunks of steady running.

No comments: