Saturday 21 January 2012

15.2 miles wet, hilly and horrible

Followed the Aubonne river up past the dam and instead of the left to Signal I kept going towards Biere. All new trails for me here. The wide made road quickly gave way to a track and then a trail. Nice along the river side and wooden platforms wrapped in chicken wire to stop you slipping certainly helped keep me out of the mud. A fallen tree had a step cut out of it which even had treads carved into it. Nice touch.

Then the path vanished. A landslide had taken a 50m high and 75m wide section of the riverside away and I had no path. So I scrambled up then stopped to assess the situation more carefully and decided I really did not want to slip and end up in the raging river below. So I made my way tree root by tree root over the top and found some kind of tail to follow. Under the new railway bridge it was difficult as the river was close to bursting it's banks and loads of logs and branches were washed up here. Could not really tell where to go, just followed the river.

Got to Biere and a blizzard struck. I was soaked anyway and now I was frozen too. Snow line was just beyond the village. Decided to head back. Was worrying about the landslide when I suddenly arrived at the top of the bridge I'd struggled under. To cross there is an under pass where I could see exactly where I had come. A new path at the top avoided the landslide nicely. Took the glasses off as could not see through the rain and steam anymore.

Slogged on to Signal and was briefly cheered by a bloke flying up the hill dressed in close to identical kit, he smiled at me and we laughed out loud as we past each other. That was the only runner I saw today.

Signal was deserted. Just leaving the park my left nipple started to hurt, the Vaseline washed away by the rain and the logo in the jacket was rubbing - had to hold the jacket and top in my hand for a bit it was so painful.

Made it back to Aubonne and as my tradition demands I went right up to the castle (super steep) to admire the view - of some clouds. At least the steps down to the car park are covered so I could wring out the hat and gloves before stretching.

One of the most miserable runs I have ever done. Slow. Wet. Long. Painful. But 15 more miles......

Garmin

No comments: